A Tight Ship

It will get there as long as our eyes are open

jeudi, mars 09, 2006

Kneeding Cat

I worked my first shift at happinez tonight. There is something awkward and reassuring about working with your partner. I was nervous at first, and then I just swooned around the tables, that tray floating on my fingers, the falcon eye you need to catch every little movement and wave. It is not unlike leading a double life. All day I sit at my desk, translating technical files and sorting through emails. The cats run around, down the hall, after each other. As soon as she sees me at my desk, Kuan, jumps up on the table and bunts the corners of my computer. She is a very beautiful cat with a witty personnality. Manu is my Siamese cat who was found on the island of Manitoulan, in Ontario, by my ex-roommate Tyler. He crossed Canada on his bicycle, and he camped there. In the middle of the night he heard a screeching cat meow, and there she was, a skinny kitty with frostbit ears. He took her back to Toronto, and when I moved in her and I connected, and I took her to Saint John. Oddly we get attached to animals. I look at Manu and I feel so much love. This afternoon she felt chatty, and kept circling me until she jumped on my lap and looked at me work and type away. I think she enjoys observing the movement of my fingers on the keyboard. She just sat there and purred, het little black front paws resting on my forearm, or kneeding my thighs to make her bed. There are things immeasurable.